Home Forums Art Chat Galleries asking us to sign “no responsibility” agreements Reply To: Galleries asking us to sign “no responsibility” agreements

Thea

Hi folks, I’d like to share an update:

I decided not to sign that consignment contract in which the gallery said they would not be responsible for prints that got lost or damaged. And I declined to sign a similar one for original art at another place. Even if the owners are otherwise nice and treat items well, and even if the chances of loss or theft are small, I just feel it’s a poor, lopsided policy that protects only them. Especially if they are taking 40 or 50 percent of the sale.

Don’t get me wrong—I understand the issues galleries have keeping afloat financially (especially now!) and protecting inventory. I really do. And, truth be told, I don’t get worked up about getting every penny of compensation over really small losses. But..but.

As a gesture of goodwill, I’m offering to let them keep selling the handful of prints of mine that they have left under the terms of their contract. But they know I can’t sign it going forward.

Okay, update complete!